A union representing medical laboratory workers says members taking part in partial strike action are being sent home without pay.
The company, Southern Community Laboratories, says none of those suspended are involved in Covid-19 testing.
But the union says employees who have been working long hours and extra shifts testing Covid samples are affected.
More than 700 workers at private laboratories around the country have issued strike notices for a 24-hour full withdrawal of labour from Friday, 4 September.
Read back through updates on Covid-19 in New Zealand and around the world from 27 August:
Read more about the Covid-19 coronavirus:
- See all RNZ Covid-19 news
- Covid-19 symptoms: What they are and how they make you feel
- Touching your Face: Why do we do it and how to stop
- Scientific hand-washing advice to avoid infection
- A timeline: How the coronavirus started, spread and stalled life in New Zealand
- Coronavirus: A glossary of terms