7 Apr 2016

Last moments of fatal bashing victim shown to jury

3:20 pm on 7 April 2016

A jury has watched the security camera footage that captured the last conscious moments of Ihaia Gillman-Harris, shortly after he was fatally beaten.

Ihaia Gillman-Harris.

Ihaia Gillman-Harris. Photo: SUPPLIED / NZ Police

Leonard Nattrass-Berquist and Beauen Wallace-Loretz - both 17 at the time - are accused of murdering Mr Gillman-Harris in December 2014.

The Crown says security camera footage shows Mr Gillman-Harris withdrawing $320 in cash before driving the two teenagers in his Range Rover to the Epsom Ascot motel.

After about 20 minutes, the two teenagers leave by the back. One of them can be seen holding a long object and they drive off in Mr Gillman-Harris' vehicle.

The Crown's case is the teenagers planned to beat up Mr Gillman-Harris, and brought a bat along with them to do the job.

The footage showed Mr Gillman-Harris emerging from the unit, clutching a towel to his head and limping.

Despite emergency surgery, Mr Gillman-Harris later died in hospital.

In his opening address earlier in the week, Mr Nattrass-Berquist's lawyer Murray Gibson described Mr Gillman-Harris as a predator who sexually assaulted his client.

The Crown later called evidence from Mr Gillman-Harris' sister, Hirata Harris, who said her brother was a kind and gentle man, and that anger and aggression was not in his nature.

She said Mr Gillman-Harris spent Christmas with her family in Wellington, before heading home to Auckland on Boxing Day.

The following day she received a call to say Mr Gillman-Harris was seriously injured.

The court has also heard from St John paramedic Tristan Sames, who examined Mr Gillman-Harris at the Epsom Ascot Motel.

He said it appeared Mr Gillman-Harris had bruises to his stomach and his flank, consistent with being struck with a long object.

Mr Sames described Mr Gillman-Harris as being unsteady on his feet and having a low level of consciousness.

He said Mr Gillman-Harris had tried to walk around the room but Mr Sames said that kind of behaviour was normal with people who had head injuries.

The first police officer to arrive on the scene was Constable Ross Stuart. He told the court Mr Gillman-Harris was lying on a bed inside unit number one.

He was bleeding from his nose and had a cut to his leg. There was a broken glass-topped coffee table, a broken fan and a laptop with a smashed screen.

Mr Stuart said he could not make sense of what Mr Gillman-Harris was saying.

During cross-examination, Mr Stuart confirmed that Mr Gillman-Harris tried to leave the room and ambulance staff first on the scene were frightened they would be punched and had to strap him on to a stretcher.

Get the RNZ app

for ad-free news and current affairs