Tens of thousands are striking around the country in what could be the nation's biggest intergenerational climate change march today.
More than 40 events are being held across the country, as part of an international movement sparked by Greta Thunberg.
The organisers of today's climate strike claim 170,000 people have participated in demonstrations nationwide.
It's the third School Strike 4 Climate, but this time organisers are calling on the wider public to join - dozens of businesses and organisations across the country are promising to shut their doors and take part.
An open letter with more than 11,000 signatures will be delivered to Parliament, calling for the government to declare a climate emergency and to start building a renewable and regenerative economy.
Events across the country today include:
- Whangārei: 8am Cnr Bank and Cameron St
- Auckland: 12pm Aotea Square
- Hamilton: 1pm Civic Square
- New Plymouth: 11am Huatoki Plaza
- Hawke's Bay: 10.30am Soundshell
- Whanganui: 10am Majestic Square
- Wellington: 11am Civic Square
- Nelson: 12.30pm Church Steps
- Richmond: 10am Sundial Square
- Christchurch: 1pm Cathedral Square
- Dunedin: 12pm the Dental School