30 Aug 2015

Wellington, Otago and Canterbury triumphant

12:55 pm on 30 August 2015

Wellington shut-out Northland, Otago came back to beat Taranaki and Canterbury thwarted Auckland in round three of the provincial rugby competition.

Wellington's Wes Goosen dives over the line against Northland, 2015.

Wellington's Wes Goosen dives over the line against Northland, 2015. Photo: PHOTOSPORT

The Lions maintained their unbeaten start to the season by keeping Northland scoreless on a cold, rainy night in the capital.

The 29-0 shut-out was the second game in a row that Wellington have held their opposition to nil.

The wingers Wes Goosen and Joe Hill scored first half tries to give the home side a 17-0 half-time lead.

The flanker, Ardie Savea, dotted down just after the break before the substitute midfielder, Jackson Garden-Bachop, burst over the line shortly before full time.

In New Plymouth, Taranaki were on track for their first win of the season until the final ten minutes of their match with Otago.

Seta Tamanivalu in action for Taranaki

Seta Tamanivalu in action for Taranaki Photo: Photosport

The visitors came from behind to upset the premiers 34-27.

The home team was bolstered by the All Black, Beuden Barrett, running at first five-eighth who slipped through the line to set up the first try for the winger, Jackson Ormond, in the 11th minute.

The Taranaki number eight, Iopu-Iopu Aso, dotted down seven minutes later after catching a charge-down, racing down field and sparking some slick interchange that led to him sliding across the line.

His team mate Codey Rei gathered a kick from Barrett to score a try in the 36th minute to give Taranaki a 22-6 half time lead.

Hurricanes and All Blacks star Beauden Barrett

Hurricanes and All Blacks star Beauden Barrett Photo: Photosport

In the second half, Otago was a different animal led by the loose forward, Naulia Dawia, who scored two tries from line out drives.

The winger, Sean Wainui, answered with a try for Taranaki in the 66th minute before Otago's, Aki Seiuli, barged across the line to even the score with eight minutes to play.

With time expired and the match locked at 27-27, Otago battled upfield through 18 phases before the reserve half back, Kaide Whiting, slipped over the try line for the winner.

Earlier on Saturday, Canterbury defeated Auckland, 27-21, at Eden Park.

Patrick Osborne of Canterbury meets Ofa Tu'ungafasi and Joe Edwards of Auckland.

Patrick Osborne of Canterbury meets Ofa Tu'ungafasi and Joe Edwards of Auckland. Photo: PHOTOSPORT

The visitors outscored Auckland four tries to two that included a brace by the Canterbury winger, Johnny McNicholl.

The All Black hopeful, Ryan Crotty, scored the opening try in the 13th minute from an intercept.

Auckland's talented number eight, Akira Ioane, replied in kind 10 minutes later from a pick and go with support from Charlie Faumuina.

The prop was playing his first game after a three month break following neck surgery.

Charlie Faumuina

Charlie Faumuina Photo: PHOTOSPORT

McNicholl scored his first in the 32nd minute by breaking the line and beating several players in an impressive solo effort from 40 metres out.

Three minutes later the Canterbury prop, Daniel Lienert-Brown, crossed the line after Tom Taylor cleverly regathered a Patrick Osborne chip.

Trailing 19-8 at half time, Auckland substituted Faumuina who's expected to be named in the All Blacks' World Cup squad on Sunday.

George Moala continued his impressive year with a try in the 56th minute for the home team, shortly before McNicholl regathered his own grubber and ran in from half-way.