23 Feb 2015

Fans upset at stadium catering queues

7:20 am on 23 February 2015

Measures are being put in place to prevent a repeat of the long queues for food and drink at major Cricket World Cup matches in Wellington's stadium, its management says.

Many of the 30-thousand strong crowd were left waiting more than an hour for food and drinks at the match between New Zealand and England at Westpac Stadium on Friday.

Stadium chief executive Shane Harmon said there had been staffing problems.

"The only issue we faced was some unacceptably long queues on the northern end of the stadium due to a couple of the bars opening later than had been anticipated," he said.

"There were some staffing and accreditation issues that came to my attention after the game had started.

"We'll be putting measures in place to make sure that doesn't happen for the rest of the tournament."

Fans were also left disgruntled about an on-field decision to take a half-hour break with the New Zealand side just a few runs from victory.

Players leave the field at the tea break during the ICC Cricket World Cup match between New Zealand and England in Wellington.

Players leave the field at the tea break. Photo: PHOTOSPORT

The crowd were roaring in delight as Black Caps' captain Brendon McCullum fired a volley of sixes into the stands as New Zealand chased a paltry 124 for victory.

But they booed with disapproval when the game was halted for a mandatory half hour break with the Black Caps on the brink of victory.

One very disappointed punter was 21 year old Riley Willis, who was watching one of his first big games.

"I looked at the scoreboard and thought if Brendon McCullum was still in it would be two more balls and the whole game would be over," he said.

"It sort of seemed like they were just going out to get money out of us while they still could milk it. It's a little bit rude, I thought."

Another fan, Vimal Patel, was left astounded the game was stopped.

"That tea break was just pathetic and maybe they could've had a longer innings break instead so they didn't have to drag it on towards the end," he said.

Journalist and veteran cricket fan Simon Louisson veteran cricket fan thought the decision put a black mark on the whole occasion.

"Something like a third of the crowd wandered off home because the game was forgone conclusion at that stage.

"So instead of ending in a wonderful atmosphere it ended in a bit of a whimper."

Get the RNZ app

for ad-free news and current affairs