The Māori Party has today released its candidate list, with co-leaders Debbie Ngarewa-Packer sitting at number 1 and John Tamihere at a surprise number 7.
That means Tamihere must win Tāmaki Makaurau and beat incumbent Peeni Henare to get into Parliament.
Waiariki candidate Rawiri Waititi has taken the number 2 spot, and Ikaroa-Rāwhiti candidate Heather Te Au-Skipworth is sitting at number 3.
Māori Party president Che Wilson said the list reflected the party's diversity.
"As the nation pivots from social need to economic recovery, we need leadership that is agile, energetic and principled," he said in a statement.
"Our party list for the 2020 Elections reflects the visionary solution-focus of rangatahi leadership alongside of the tūpuna-derived courage of our wāhine kahurangi, some who are currently leading the cause of the care of some of our most vulnerable children to the Waitangi Tribunal.
"Aotearoa needs more than kindness - we need a brave direction that is fit for purpose in a much changed world; able to mobilise whānau, hapū and iwi, and reflects the diversity of all our communities across the land."
The candidates each had their own set of unique skills and life experiences, he said.
"In our list we have champion athletes: the founder of Iron Māori (Heather Te Au Skipworth); a coordinator for the diploma in sport and recreation- and a crossfit trainer (Fallyn Flavell); a fourth dan black belt in aikido (Mariameno Kapa-Kingi) and competitive rower (Tumanako Silveria)," he said.
"We have candidates with vast expertise and experience in local government (Merepeka Raukawa-Tait, Elijah Pue, John Tamihere, Rangi Mclean, Debbie Ngarewa-Packer); a former Cabinet minister Hon Tamihere; two past youth MPs (Eru Kapa-Kingi and Elijah Pue); and former candidates for the Māori Party, Mana Motuhake, Alliance Labour, and the Christian Heritage Party."
The confirmed list is:
1. Debbie Ngarewa-Packer - Te Tai Hauāuru
2. Rawiri Waititi - Waiariki
3. Heather Te Au-Skipworth - Ikaroa-Rāwhiti
4. Tākuta Ferris - Te Tai Tonga
5. Donna Pokere-Phillips - Hauraki-Waikato
6. Mariameno Kapa-Kingi - Te Tai Tokerau
7. John Tamihere - Tāmaki Makaurau
8. Hana Tapiata - Waiariki
9. Merepeka Raukawa-Tait - Waiariki
10. Eru Kapa-Kingi - Te Tai Tokerau
11. Lady Tureiti Moxon - Hauraki-Waikato
12. Elijah Pue - Te Tai Hauāuru
13. Dame R Naida Glavish - Te Tai Tokerau
14. Tumanako Silveira - Waiariki
15. Taiaha Hawke - Tāmaki Makaurau
16. Kate Cherrington - Te Tai Tonga
17. Tina Porou - Ikaroa-Rāwhiti
18. Wendy Biddle - Waiariki
19. Te Ropu Poa - Te Tai Tokerau
20. Fallyn Flavell - Waiariki
21. Rangi McLean - Tāmaki Makaurau