The Kate Sheppard House has scooped the supreme award at the Canterbury Heritage Awards.
The Christchurch villa was the headquarters for Sheppard's suffragist campaign and where her 270-metre petition was glued together, helping win the women's right to vote in 1893.
It has since been adapted to showcase Sheppard's life and achievements and the suffrage movement.
The house was also awarded the Heritage New Zealand award for outstanding contribution to heritage.
It was one of nine winners across six categories at tonight's ceremony in Christchurch.
Chair of the awards Dame Anna Crighton said there was stiff competition and the judges had a tough time picking their winners among this year's finalists.
"The benchmark of the entries was set really high - even to make the final is a major achievement this year against stiff competition.
"The occasion was to applaud, acclaim and celebrate the work from all entrants."
During the awards ceremony 16 of the 62 entrants were awarded with highly commended placings, with a further six receiving commended.
The winners were:
- Moveable Feasts Heritage Tourism Award - Awaroa/Godley Head Coastal Defence Site (Department of Conservation). A certificate of special recognition went to the Riverside Market Mural (Riverside Ltd).
- Ceres NZ Public Realm - Saved and Restored Award - Joint winners: School of Art, The Arts Centre Te Matatiki Toi Ora (The Arts Centre Te Matatiki Toi Ora) and Balmoral Fire Lookout (Hawarden Waikari Lions Club)
- Maiden Group Domestic Saved and Restored Award - Joint winners: Montrose Station Homestead (Wilson & Hill Architects) and The Britten Stables (Isabelle and Tim Weston)
- Heritage New Zealand Outstanding Contribution to Heritage Award - Te Whare Waiutuutu Kate Sheppard House (Heritage New Zealand Pouhere Taonga)
- In memory of Stephen Collins Seismic Award - Sacred Heart Basilica (WSP NZ Ltd)
- Warren and Mahoney Future Heritage Award - Tūranga Christchurch Central Library (Architectus)
- ChristchurchNZ Supreme Award and recipient of the Blue Plaque - Te Whare Waiutuutu Kate Sheppard House (Heritage New Zealand Pouhere Taonga)