One of the latest people to test positive for Covid-19 met with a woman from a different household during Auckland's last lockdown two days before she tested positive.
Case M and her son, case N, tested positive for Covid-19 on Saturday. The son attended classes at Manukau Institute of Technology and visited a number of locations last week while potentially infectious, prompting Auckland to go back into alert level 3 and the rest of the country into level 2.
It was revealed today that case N went for a walk with case F on the morning of 15 February, the day after Auckland last went into lockdown. Both families have students who attend Papatoetoe High School.
The other household was the second cluster in the February outbreak, with members testing positive on 16 and 17 February.
The contact between the two families was not disclosed to contact tracers prior to the family entering quarantine.
Officials have only just recently discovered the link, Director-General of Health Ashley Bloomfield said today.
Deputy Prime Minister Grant Robertson told Checkpoint he believed case N was not related to case F. Under level 3 rules, households can expand their bubbles to include close family and people who are isolated.
Robertson said he did not believe Case M and N's actions were defiant or ideological. He hasn't seen any evidence that they were deliberately ignoring rules and said they have been co-operative.
Latest updates here:
At a post-Cabinet briefing this afternoon, Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern asked the public to call out rule breaking by colleagues and family.
The Ministry of Health also reported no new community cases and just one new case in managed isolation today.
This is an official government Covid-19 announcement:
On 28 February, the Auckland region moved to Covid-19 Alert Level 3. The rest of New Zealand moved to Alert Level 2. This is for a period of seven days. Further community cases of Covid-19 have been identified in the Auckland Region. If you are in Auckland, stay home where possible, and follow Alert Level 3 guidelines. This will stop the transmission of Covid-19 and save lives. For more information on the alert levels go to covid19.govt.nz.
RNZ is the statutory Lifeline Utility responsible for radio broadcasting under the Emergency Management Act 2002 and it has a memorandum of understanding with Government which has been activated to help deal with potential health issues related to the pandemic. RNZ's Lifeline Utility obligations do not affect our editorial independence as a public media organisation or the rigour of our news gathering and reporting operations.
As New Zealand's Lifeline Utility radio broadcaster, RNZ is required to maintain essential public information channels and news during times of national emergency and we are committed to supporting all New Zealanders. We are also committed to looking after the health and well-being of our staff.
RNZ will continue to provide essential information services - broadcasting and publishing critical public service announcements on air, on our website and via social media channels. Comprehensive news will be available on air and via our website and digital services.
If necessary RNZ Concert and RNZ Pacific will carry news and information from RNZ National. Parliament will continue to be broadcast on the AM network when the House is sitting. As the country's public service media organisation, RNZ is committed to supporting all New Zealanders.
Kia Kaha - Stay Strong
- If you have symptoms of the coronavirus, call the NZ Covid-19 Healthline on 0800 358 5453 (+64 9 358 5453 for international SIMs) or call your GP - don't show up at a medical centre.