People's mental health will benefit from garden centres reopening on Tuesday, when the country moves to alert level 3, Gardening New Zealand says.
The return to alert level 3 means garden centres will be reopening, although with contactless service.
Gardening New Zealand, which represents gardening centres, said gardening was an activity with proven mental-health benefits.
Its spokesperson Debbie Pascoe said that in times of hardship and stress it was important people for to have something positive to do at home.
She said growing your own healthy produce also provided food security.
Pascoe said now was a great time to start planting a winter vegetable garden.
Read more about the Covid-19 coronavirus:
- See all RNZ Covid-19 news
- Your Covid-19 questions answered - from health and employment to managing anxiety
- A timeline: How the coronavirus started, spread and stalled life in New Zealand
- Covid-19 symptoms: What they are and how they make you feel
- Touching your Face: Why do we do it and how to stop
- Scientific hand-washing advice to avoid infection
- Coronavirus: A glossary of terms
- The Coronavirus Podcast