A Christchurch man who died after lighting a fire in a motel room was having a psychotic episode, a coroner has found.
Jason Edward Sillick, 44, died in hospital two days after he was rescued from a fire in a room at Central City Motel Apartments in June last year.
In a finding released today, the coroner said Mr Sillick was affected by methamphetamine when he deliberately set the fire, after barricading himself in the room.
The coroner found the death appeared to be accidental, rather than suicide.
The report said while Mr Sillick had recently indicated some willingness to seek help, he had not followed through.
He remained at very high risk of harm resulting from psychotic episodes secondary to methamphetamine use, the coroner's report said.