Wellington Rugby is to launch a review of its recruiting processes following the termination of the contract of player Losi Filipo.
The District Court discharged the Wellington Lions player without conviction for assaulting four people, on the grounds a conviction would jeopardise his rugby career.
His contract with Wellington Rugby was subsequently terminated.
A statement from Wellington Rugby said the case had given the organisation cause to look closely at how the matter was handled and its player monitoring procedures.
An independent party would be appointed to lead the review.
Wellington Rugby said it was open to change and committed to ensuring the organisation followed best practice, should any similar cases happen in the future.
October 2015 - Losi Filipo, then 17, and his older brother were charged in relation to assaults on two men and two women early on Sunday 11 October 2015. His brother, who had previous convictions, was later convicted, fined and placed on supervision.
15 August 2016 - Filipo discharged without conviction by Judge Bruce Davidson, following a sentencing indication hearing. He was ordered to do community work and pay reparation.
26 September 2016 - Details of the case were aired in the media. Solicitor-General Una Jagose became aware of the case and, exercising her own independent powers, decided it was an appropriate case for her to take a closer look at.
29 September 2016 - Crown Law announced approval had been given for the police to seek leave to appeal Judge Davidson's decision in the High Court and an application to do so had been filed.