The Indian cricket board insists the West Indies have called off their tour as a result of a pay dispute after a day of extraordinary back-and-forth statements between officials in both countries.
As India won the fourth of what were supposed to be five one-day internationals by 59 runs in Dharamsala, the Board of Control for Cricket in India said that, despite West Indian denials, the tour was over.
"The BCCI would like to clarify that despite all its efforts, the Micromax Cup India vs West Indies ODI series has been curtailed because of the ongoing issue between WICB (West Indies Cricket Board) and its players, [resulting in] the withdrawal of the WI team from the ongoing tour of India."
The BCCI then issued its own timeline of events which it said had led to the cancellation of the tour.
At the post-match presentation ceremony, West Indies one-day captain Dwayne Bravo appeared to indicate the tour was over as far as he was concerned.
"It's been tough for us on tour," Bravo said.
"I give credit to my team, sadly it (the tour) has come to an end now. Everyone is sticking together, despite what's going on.
"We look forward to representing the West Indies again some time soon."
However, during the course of Friday's match, the WICB insisted no decision had been taken to call off the tour.
"The West Indies Cricket Board advises, that, contrary to media reports, it has taken no decision to discontinue the ongoing tour to India," the statement said.
"The WICB will make a further statement following the conclusion of the Fourth One Day International which is in progress."
Earlier, the BCCI said it had been informed by West Indies team manager Richie Richardson that the squad would not play the fifth one-dayer, a Twenty20 match or the three Tests that remained on the itinerary.
"The BCCI is shocked and extremely disappointed at the decision taken by the WICB," BCCI secretary Sanjay Patel said in a statement.
"The WICB's inability to resolve internal issues with its players and allowing the same to affect an ongoing bilateral series does not reflect well on any of those involved.
"The withdrawal gives little thought to the future of the game, the players and the long standing relations between the BCCI and WICB."
Bravo had said before the start of the tour on October 8th that the players had not accepted a payment agreement signed on their behalf by the West Indies Players Association with the WICB.
They played two one-dayers: the first in Kochi won by the Windies and the second in New Delhi won by India, while the third match in Visakhapatnam was cancelled due to a severe cyclonic storm that hit India's east coast.
The BCCI, meanwhile, announced it had finalised a five-match one-day series against Sri Lanka between November 1st and 15th to replace the cancelled West Indies tour.
"The BCCI wishes to thank Sri Lanka Cricket (SLC) for its swift response and for extending its support to ensure that the international cricket season is not curtailed," a separate statement from the BCCI said.
The exact schedule and venues for the hastily-arranged series will be announced shortly, Patel said.