21 Apr 2016

Two-year-old died after choking on food

2:50 pm on 21 April 2016

A two-year-old died suddenly at a Christchurch house last night, after choking on a piece of food.

The police confirmed the cause of death this afternoon, after emergency services were called to the house on Wainoni Road last night.

A police car outside the house on Wainoni Road in Christchurch,

Police outside the house in Christchurch Photo: RNZ / Belinda McCammon

A police spokesperson said the death was a great tragedy for the family, and the police extended their sympathies to them at this difficult time.

The matter has now been referred to the coroner.