27 Oct 2015

Man shot by police after woman found dead

6:35 pm on 27 October 2015

Police officers shot and injured a man during a chase following the discovery of a woman's body in a Napier house.

The main road through Clive has been closed off and three tents set up as police examine the scene of the shooting.

The main road through Clive was closed off and three tents were set up as police examined the scene of the shooting. Photo: RNZ / Peter Fowler

The police said the 28-year-old may be linked to the investigation into the death of the woman at the house, in the suburb of Westshore.

They said he was seen carrying a gun and driving south out of Napier and officers, including the Armed Offenders Squad, were called in about 9pm.

Eastern District Commander Superintendent Sandra Venables

Superintendent Sandra Venables Photo: RNZ / Peter Fowler

Officers pursued him from Napier to Clive. The police said he was stopped at a road block in the main street of Clive about 11pm and, after he threatened officers, there was an exchange of fire.

The man was treated by paramedics and taken to hospital, where he is in a stable but serious condition.

The Eastern Police District Commander, Superintendent Sandra Venables, said the incident was "difficult, dangerous and fast-moving."

"We're unable to release the name of the victim at this stage but our thoughts are with the families caught up in this tragic event," she said in a statement.

Later, during a news conference, Ms Venables said the police were still trying to piece together what happened.

"While it's too early to comment in detail on what sparked the incident, it appears to have been confined to the man and the victim and no-one else is currently being sought."

The Independent Police Conduct Authority (IPCA) has been notified and is investigating the incident, and police are appealing for witnesses to the police chase and the shooting.

State Highway 2 through Clive was closed for a scene examination but has re-opened.