24 Aug 2015

Mystery meth in couple's slow cooker

4:32 pm on 24 August 2015

Two Aucklanders got more than they bargained for after using their slow cooker to prepare their evening meal.

slow cooker

Photo: 123RF

The pair were admitted to Middlemore Hospital with diarrhoea, abdominal cramps, swollen tongues, dizziness and faster than normal heartbeats, after eating a bean casserole made in their slow cooker.

They had noticed less severe symptoms over the previous four weeks each time they ate the casserole, along with a beef casserole that had also been made in the slow cooker.

Tests by Environmental Science and Research revealed methamphetamine was present on the outside and inside of the slow cooker.

The accidental drug taking, which involved both of them both consuming an estimated five milligrams of methamphetamine, is included in the latest quarterly Public Health Surveillance Report.

The report said how the drug got into the slow cooker remains a mystery.

The pair were discharged from hospital the same day they were admitted.

Read the latest Public Health Surveillance Report (PDF, 510KB)

Get the RNZ app

for ad-free news and current affairs