6 Aug 2015

Panmure apartment fire victim named

2:09 pm on 6 August 2015

The man who died in an apartment fire in Auckland yesterday has been named as Peter Vincent David Harrison.

The scene of a fatal fire in Panmure today

The scene of yesterday's fatal fire in Panmure, Auckland Photo: RNZ / Gill Bonnett

The police and Fire Service are still looking for clues as to what happened at the block of terraced houses in Panmure where the 57-year-old lived.

Fire Service staff said earlier that Mr Harrison may have slept through his smoke alarm.

The fire was a small, smouldering blaze that created a lot of smoke, causing several apartments to fill with smoke and prompting many people to flee the building.

A post mortem has found Mr Harrison died as a result of the fire.