22 Jul 2015

Four treated for smoke inhalation

6:19 am on 22 July 2015

Four people are being treated in Christchurch Hospital after their house filled with smoke from a pot left on a stove.

Crews from Woolston and Kilmore Street fire stations were called to the house at Pateke Place, Bromley at 4.15am.

Fire Service southern communication centre shift manager Andrew Norris said the property was smoke-logged when crews arrived and four people suffered smoke inhalation.

"Fortunately the family were alerted to the smoke by a smoke alarm that activated within the property which gave automatic warning to vacate the premises before they suffered too much from the effects of the smoke.

"They were however transported to hospital and are currently in Christchurch Hospital under observation and being treated."

Mr Norris said the fire crews used specialist equipment to ventilate the house and clear it of smoke and the property has been secured.