Elderly people in a Waikanae resthome have had to go without heatpumps, ovens and microwaves for a time after a tree fell on a 33000 volt line in Peka Peka yesterday.
Electra contractors were felling the tree when it dropped onto the line, cutting power to 1400 properties, including some rest home units.
Electra chief executive Neil Simmonds said electricians worked all day and evening to fix the problem, and it was only aware of eight remaining customers without power.
Spokesperson for the Ryman's Charles Fleming Retirement Village, David King, said he was not sure of the cost of the damage. Mr King said they were hoping the cost of new appliances would not come out of their own pocket.