12 Feb 2015

Potentially toxic algae in Lake Pegasus

8:27 pm on 12 February 2015

A health warning has been issued following the discovery of potentially toxic blue-green algae in Lake Pegasus, north of Christchurch.

The Canterbury District Health Board, which issued the warning, says people and animals should avoid contact with the lake until the warning has been lifted.

Its medical officer of health, Alistair Humphrey, says boiling the water does not remove the toxin, so no one should drink from the lake.

The regional council will monitor the algae weekly and the public will be advised of any change to the warning.

Get the RNZ app

for ad-free news and current affairs