Toxic mould closes community hall and part of library in Lower Hutt

12:56 pm on 30 July 2021

A community hall and one floor of a library in Lower Hutt have been closed down, after toxic mould was found in both buildings.

No caption

One floor of the Petone Library has been closed after toxic mould was found. Photo: Google Maps

A mid-week inspection of the Hardwick Smith Lounge in Belmont and the Petone Library also detected high moisture levels.

Only the first floor of the library has been closed, as the ground floor has been checked and is considered safe for staff and the community.

Hutt City Council chief executive Jo Miller said remedial works for the library to address the building's water tightness will now be brought forward.

Anyone concerned about their health because of exposure to toxic mould is advised to see a medical professional.

Get the RNZ app

for ad-free news and current affairs