Timaru District Council has sent out an emergency alert to residents in the Coopers Creek catchment north of the Orari River, telling them to evacuate immediately due to flooding.
Those in low-lying areas were told to leave immediately, and go to higher ground.
Motorists were advised not to drive through flood waters, due to possible debris and road hole and potential contamination.
Evacuees can go to friends or family or to the Temuka Civil Defence Centre - Alpine Energy Stadium situated in the Temuka Domain or the Geraldine Civil Defence Centre situated at Geraldine High School.
Officials have been meeting this morning in response to the flooding disaster that has hit Canterbury since the weekend due to heavy rainfall.
If you have witnessed flooding and would like to share pictures or video with us, please email it to: email@example.com
Read back through latest updates here:
Where to go for official updates:
Remember, always call l 111 if you think your life or the lives of others are in danger.
These sites contain flooding updates for Canterbury areas, including emergency notices, road closures, river flow, flooding warnings and places to get more information:
- Christchurch City Council flooding updates page
- Ashburton District Council flooding updates page
- Selwyn District Council flooding updates page
- Waimakariri District Council flooding updates page
- Timaru District Council is posting updates to their main page.
- The regional council for Christchurch: Environment Canterbury
- Canterbury Civil Defence Emergency Management page.
- Canterbury District Health Board flood-related advice