Fiji's Prime Minister says relief supplies and food rations have reached the badly-hit remote areas of the country since last week's devastation by Cyclone Harold.
Frank Bainimarama said disaster response teams were in Vatulele, Beqa, Yanuca, southern Lau and Kadavu which felt the brunt of the category four storm.
Mr Bainimarama said says Fijians were proving their resilience and rising back to their feet.
"Most roads are open while water supply has almost entirely resumed across the country. And the electricity will steadily come back online through the week."
He said, because of the threat of Covid-19, relief teams had been screened by health officials before heading to the outer islands on Tuesday.
Mr Bainimarama said the deployment of relief supplies to affected areas had already cost the government $US1.6 million.
With more than half the country's power supply yet to be restored, Energy Fiji Limited (EFL) said electricity services were expected to return to normal this weekend.
The state-owned utility company apologised for the delay but said full restoration required every metre of the power line to be physically inspected, repaired where required, before it could be energised.
"Whilst this process is time consuming, it is none-the less critical to ensure the safety and security of power supply," EFL said.
Evacuation centres still open as schools need repair
Meanwhile, about 60 schools were damaged and the Ministry of Education said it was working on response plans to repair the schools.
The ministry said officials were also assessing damage to classrooms and teachers' quarters in the outer islands.
Earlier the prime minister said 52 evacuation centres remained open in the central, eastern and western divisions.
Mr Bainimarama said more than 1500 people were still sheltering at the centres.
He said the evacuation centres were "hygienically maintained" and would remain open for those who need them.
"These families will continue to be fed and looked after until it is safe to return to their communities."
NPF activates relief package
This week, the National Provident Fund (FNPF) activated its Natural Disaster Withdrawal Scheme and members affected by Cyclone Harold could now access their funds.
The FNPF said the scheme enabled members living in the affected areas to apply for $US890.
Chief executive Jaoji Koroi said teams were deployed on Wednesday to inspect and collect applications from those whose homes were damaged or destroyed in the storm.
Mr Koroi said it was unfortunate Fijians had to endure Cyclone Harold while coming to grips with the Covid-19 pandemic.
Assistance pours into country
Meanwhile, France has handed over supplies to help Fijians badly affected by Harold.
French Ambassador to Fiji, Jean-François Fitou, said a flight from New Caledonia on Monday brought five tonnes of humanitarian aid from Paris.
Mr Fitou said these included 100 family kits that included tents, kitchen sets, shelter kits and 200 jerry cans with a 20 litre capacity.
People living on Kadavu and Lau received $US112,000 worth of aid from the Rotary Clubs in Fiji.
Rotary handed over emergency response kits, clothes, soaps and toothbrushes to the National Disaster Management Office (NDMO) on Monday.
Rotary said it was part of a coordinated effort with the NDMO and the New Zealand government.