The Nelson bush fire grew to 1870ha within 13 hours overnight, destroying homes and prompting people to evacuate the area.
Scroll down for live updates, an information map and the most important information ...
- Check this map for basic information, but do not rely on it for accuracy if you are in the area
- Civil defence emergency declared 8am by Nelson, Tasman mayors
- Areas evacuated: At least 170 homes in Eves Valley, Golden Hills Road, Redwood Valley Road, Mallings Road and Greenacres Road
- Areas on notice for potential evacuation: Sunrise Valley, Deep Dale Road in Upper Moutere and Pigeon Valley also on notice for potential evacuation
- If people evacuate and leave their homes it is asked they register with the Civil Defence Centre at St Johns Church, Edwards St in Wakefield or ring Civil Defence 03 5437290 to register they have moved and are safe. This is important to ensure everyone is accounted for and safe
- Homes destroyed in: Eves Valley and Redwood Valley
- Fire response: 12 fire crews worked overnight, 10 helicopters and two planes being used this morning. Firefighters say it could be up to four days before the fire is extinguished.
- Dwindling water supplies, wind and drought are adding to problems faced by firefighters
- Feel in danger? People who feel in danger should call 111. If you or your family and friends in the affected areas need assistance, contact Nelson Tasman Civil Defence
- If you are nearby and safe and would like to share pictures, video, newstips with us, please email it: firstname.lastname@example.org
WATCH: Public address on Nelson fire
Follow live updates for the latest information: