28 Nov 2018

Dunedin man taken to hospital after chemical exposure at Moana Pool

3:25 pm on 28 November 2018

The Dunedin City Council says a staff member suffering from chemical exposure is not in a serious condition.

Moana Pool in Dunedin.

Photo: RNZ

The 54-year-old man was taken to Dunedin Hospital after exposure to what is believed to be chlorine at Moana Pool this afternoon.

The council's parks and recreation manager Robert West said the man works at the pool and was exposed to a cleaning product.

Emergency services were called to the city's public swimming pool about 1.30pm with St John reporting he was in a serious condition.

A Fire and Emergency spokesperson said the man was believed to have been exposed to chlorine gas, though firefighters could not locate the source of his exposure.

"We aren't sure what he was exposed to but we gave first aid until ambulance staff arrived," the spokesperson said.

"We didn't find any chlorine leaks."