15 Dec 2017

Two suspected botulism sufferers return home

8:11 pm on 15 December 2017

Two members of the family struck down with suspected botulism have returned to their home in Putaruru, after more than a month in hospital.

Wild boar may have poisoned Putaruru family

The Putaruru family have been ill with suspected botulism after eating wild boar last month. Photo: RNZ / YouTube

Last month, Shibu Kochummen, his wife Subi Babu, and his mother Alekutty Daniel ate some wild boar that had been given to the family.

They were later found unconscious and paralysed.

It's not known how long the meat had been kept in the family's freezer.

Mr Kochummen and Ms Babu were taken home this morning.

Family spokesperson Joji Varghese said they are now able to walk about 20 steps on their own.

They will get rehabilitation help until they've made a full recovery, he said.

Get the RNZ app

for ad-free news and current affairs