13 Nov 2017

Kidnap case: 'His mother and I were both wailing'

1:54 pm on 13 November 2017

A mother was distraught to learn her underage daughter was having sex with her boyfriend, the jury in a kidnapping trial has heard.

Hurimoana Dennis on trial for mock arrest & threat: RNZ Checkpoint

Inspector Hurimoana Dennis is on trial over kidnapping charges. Photo: RNZ / YouTube

The young man, who was 17 at the time, has said two senior police officers threatened to arrest him on charges of statutory rape if he did not agree to forget about his girlfriend and move to Australia to start a new life.

Inspector Hurimoana Dennis and his colleague Sergeant Vaughn Perry have pleaded not guilty to kidnapping charges in the High Court in Auckland.

Today, under cross examination from Mr Dennis's lawyer Steven Bonnar QC, the girl's mother told the court that at a family barbecue, her daughter and her boyfriend told her they were having sex.

"There was an argument and they both ran off, when I went and found them at a local park - that's when my daughter told me they were sleeping together."

She detailed how she then told the boy's parents.

"They were also distraught, his mother and I were both wailing, his stepfather was talking about the police and statutory rape."

Mr Bonnar asked the woman if there was any discussion about her daughter being pregnant.

She said she arranged for the daughter to have a pregnancy test done, and for her to get contraception.

Mr Bonnar asked her if getting her daughter contraception was encouraging a sexual relationship.

The woman said it was about safety.

But Mr Bonnar then questioned the woman further on how she allowed her daughter, who was 15, and her boyfriend to sleep in the same bed.

Earlier today the woman told the court how the police arranged to talk to her daughter's boyfriend about their relationship.

"The police came and got him, after a few hours I grew concerned because he still hadn't come home.

"I called the police station but it wasn't until the next day I was told he had left the country for Australia."

We heard from him a few days later, he was speaking quietly, like he had stolen the phone to talk to us.

"He told us that the police had made him go to Australia and that he wanted to come home."

She said she arranged for him to come back to New Zealand the next day, but when they went to pick him up from the airport he was not there.

"We went home because we didn't know what had happened, we had no way of contacting him.

"He called a few days later saying that when he landed in New Zealand he was called to the front of the plane and that Mr Dennis had told him he wasn't allowed back in the country."

The case continues.

Get the RNZ app

for ad-free news and current affairs