1 Nov 2017

Six60 vindicated by balcony collapse court case

1:01 pm on 1 November 2017

The organisation of a concert in Dunedin's student quarter last year has been vindicated by the police's decision not to lay charges over the matter, the management of band Six60 says.

The scene of the balcony collapse off Castle Street in Dunedin on Friday 4 March 2016.

The scene at the Dunedin flat shortly after the balcony collapsed Photo: RNZ / Ian Telfer

Eighteen people were injured - two seriously - when a balcony collapsed at the event at a flatting complex in Castle Street shortly after Six60 took the stage on 4 March last year.

A 19-year-old woman suffered severe spinal injuries, one man fractured both his legs, and others were left with neck and head injuries when the balcony gave way due to overloading - at least 18 people were on it at the time of failure.

Authorities were only given 48 hours' notice of the event.

Police yesterday released the findings of their investigation and said no charges would be laid over the event following advice from their legal team.

Six60's representative, J Erving, said police had made the right decision.

"I think it's great news," he said.

"As it pertains to the band they were most concerned about the people that were there and the fans that came out to see them.

"They have no criminal or harmful intent in anything that they do."

The fact no further action would be taken in the matter had vindicated the oversight and management of the event.

"In terms of ... what was prepared on our side, clearly based on the fact that there's no further action taken I think that's a testament to what's been organised," he said.

"I think that part of it speaks for itself."

The band had not ruled out holding similar events in future, Mr Erving said.

A report by the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment in August 2016 found the balcony's construction met standards, but it was not designed to hold 18 people.

The University of Otago also investigated the matter and found failings in the event's organisation had led to overcrowding.

Police yesterday said they would work with authorities to prevent a repeat of the incident.

Get the RNZ app

for ad-free news and current affairs