A bacon and egg pie has taken out the annual New Zealand Supreme Pie Awards.
Patrick Lam, from Patrick's Pie Group Gold Star Bakery in Tauranga, won the competition's top prize for his bacon and egg pie, beating over 500 competitors in the category.
It's the fifth time he's taken out the Supreme Award in the competition.
At the awards dinner in Auckland last night, he also won three other awards for his some of his other creations, including his steak and cheese and gourmet fruit pies.
Overall he has won 56 pie awards during his baking career.
The awards' host, NZ Bakels managing director Brent Kersel, said Mr Lam's pie looked and tasted delicious.
"The winning pie looked impressive before tasting. The flavour and moistness of the bacon and egg combination was mouth-watering", he said.
Overall there were more than 5000 entries in all 12 categories, and a total 5284 pies were eaten.
There were 49 awards handed out to the bakers totalling $20,000 worth dollars of cash prizes.
Mr Lam's bacon and egg pie won him $7500 to take home.
The other winners included:
- Mince and Gravy - Mab Chheur of Angkor Wat Kiwi Bakery & Café, Napier
- Steak and Gravy - Michael Kuoy of Counties Bakeries, Pukekohe
- Chicken and Vegetable - Savanchamroeun Ly of Savans Bakery, Warkworth
- Gourmet Fruit - Bunnarith Sao of Dairy Flat Bakery, Auckland
- Gourmet Meat - Roger Cathro of Pak 'n Save, Petone, Wellington
- Vegetarian - Jason Danielson of The Bakery Wholesale, Wanaka
- Bacon and Egg - Patrick Lam of Patrick's Pie Group Gold Star Bakery, Tauranga
- Mince and Cheese - Buntheng Wong of Panmure Bakehouse, Auckland
- Steak and Cheese - Geemun Chao of Baker Bobs Bakery & Café, Greerton, Tauranga
- Potato Top Pie - Roger Cathro of Pak n Save, Petone, Wellington
- Commercial Wholesale Mince and Cheese - Terry McMahon of Couplands Bakeries, Hornby, Christchurch
- Café Boutique - Brad Dalton of Ginger Dynamite, Motueka