Boy suffers burns after petrol can exploded

2:40 pm on 25 June 2016

An 11-year-old boy is being transferred to Hutt Hospital near Wellington with serious burns after a petrol can exploded.

A Wellington Free Ambulance spokesperson said the boy was from Ascot Park, a suburb of Porirua.

The Fire Service sent two engines from Porirua to the address, but the fire was out when they arrived.

Police say the boy has burns to his face. They are investigating, but said there are no suspicious circumstances at this stage.