18 Apr 2016

Smoke warning after Dunedin landfill fire

12:09 pm on 18 April 2016

Residents near a landfill that caught fire in Dunedin are being advised to stay indoors to avoid smoke.

Firefighters were alerted to the blaze at the Green Island landfill shortly after 3am.

A Dunedin City Council spokesperson said there was no immediate danger from the smoke but residents would find the burning rubbish smelly and it may aggravate existing health conditions.

The fire has been extinguised and the landfill has reopened.