29 Feb 2016

Four-year-old trapped by vending machine in Melbourne

12:10 pm on 29 February 2016

A four-year-old boy is in hospital in Melbourne after his hand was stuck inside a vending machine for more than five hours.

Rescuers dismantled the machine piece by piece to free the distressed boy.

They said they used cartoons on their smartphones to calm him but at one stage he had to be sedated.

The boy's father said his son had never seen a vending machine before, and was tempted by the chocolate biscuits.