Nightclub fined for fire safety hazard

5:31 pm on 7 December 2015

An Auckland nightclub has been fined thousands of dollars for covering up smoke detectors in its central city building.

Auckland Council inspectors found detectors at the BB Nightclub covered over during an inspection last year - meaning the fire alarm system was unusable and the building was unsafe.

Charges were laid under the Building Act.

The council said the Auckland District Court has fined the company $4000, after it pleaded guilty to covering the 15 smoke detectors with plastic covers.

It said the fine was a reminder that covering a smoke detector can have serious impacts and the consequences can be fatal.