Afternoons with Jesse Mulligan for Friday 5 July 2013
1:10 Best Song Ever Written - Tony Adams of Tinwald nominated 'The Ying Tong Song' - The Goons
1:20 NZ Live with The Shot Band featuring Katie Thompson.
2:10 The Garbage Warrior - Mike Reynolds - architect Mike Reynolds is called the Garbage Warrior because he builds eco-friendly houses using mostly recyled materials that are tossed in the rubbish like old glass and plastic, cans, and tyres. He calls them Earthships because they generate their own power, have enclosed sewerage, water and heat collection systems and even grow food. Mike is in New Zealand to give two presentations on sustainable building technology at Massey University.
2:20 NZ Society - David Steemson - The Mental Health Foundation believes society can benefit from talking about what it calls "Suicide Recovery", people who've survived suicide. One such is Allan who had a busy sales career, but now uses those skills in volunteer work. He thinks he's a lucky man.
Where can I get support and help from?
Below is a list of some of the services available which offer support, information and help. All services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week unless otherwise specified.
- Lifeline – 0800 543 354 or (09) 5222 999 within Auckland
- Depression Helpline (8 am to 12 midnight) – 0800 111 757
- Healthline – 0800 611 116
- Kidsline (aimed at children up to 14 years of age; 4 pm to 6 pm weekdays) – 0800 54 37 54 (0800 kidsline)
- Samaritans – 0800 726 666 (for callers from the Lower North Island, Christchurch and West Coast) or 0800 211 211 / (04) 473 9739 (for callers from all other regions)
- Suicide Crisis Helpline (aimed at those in distress, or those who are concerned about the wellbeing of someone else) – 0508 828 865 (0508 TAUTOKO)
- Suicide Prevention Information New Zealand – www.spinz.org.nz
- Youthline – 0800 376 633, free text 234 or email email@example.com
- What’s Up (for 5–18 year olds; 1 pm to 11 pm) – 0800 942 8787
- www.thelowdown.co.nz – visit the website, email firstname.lastname@example.org or free text 5626 (emails and text messages will be responded to between 12 noon and 12 midnight).
- http://www.outline.org.nz/ 0800 OUTLINE (6885463) A confidential service for the GLBT community
2:30 Reading - The final episode of Joe Bennett's Hello Dubai, called 'Goats and Cricket'.
Joe watches a goat being killed at the local abattoir and enjoys a truncated game of cricket.
'Hello Dubai' published by Simon and Schuster, UK.
Dubai by Steve Everitt, tk 22 ATMOS208 - Palm Island
2:45 Feature album - Can't Buy a Thrill - Steely Dan (1972)
3:08 One Stop Shop - The food today with Phillip Kraal from Bamboozle Oriental Fusion in Christchurch .. the wine writer Michael Cooper joins us as we ask are wine tasting competitions a waste of time? and Sarah McMullan reviews The Lone Ranger & Despicable Me 2.
Phillip's recipe: Durian panacotta with lime mascarpone hokey pokey and passion fruit coulis
3:40 The Masquerade Ball - Vanessa Hamilton - Colourful masks with feathers and diamonds are essential for a big event in Mossburn tomorrow night. A mysterious masquerade ball on Saturday night as the Mossburn Community centre will raise money for Plunket in Lumsden and Mossburn. For the past 6 years or so, the plunket ball raises enough money so volunteers don't have organize any other major fundraisers during the year. Vanessa Hamilton is one of the organizers.
4:06 Julia Hartley-Moore and Scott Yorke are on The Panel today. Pike River; the verdict; more on the insurance go slow in Christchurch and why this has left builders out of work and afraid to speak out, allegedly. Where are you more productive, at work or at home? the big re-opening of the Madeleine McCann case, the woman who was offended by "kia ora", the Labour party promotion of women to parliament at the expense of men - just a suggestion at this stage. And May-September romances - who's to know how they will turn out?