French Polynesia and PNG continue to record Covid-19 cases

8:01 pm on 14 September 2020

French Polynesia has recorded another 35 Covid-19 cases since yesterday, raising its total to 1055.

visualisation of the Covid-19 virus

visualisation of the Covid-19 virus Photo: Fusion Medical Animation on Unsplash

993 of them were detected since the beginning of August after the government and the French High Commission opened the border and abolished mandatory quarantine requirements to boost tourism.

Most active cases are in urban areas of Tahiti, but there are also some in Moorea and Hao.

There have been two fatalities - a couple in their 80s from Papeete died last week within 24 hours of each other.

Yesterday an estimated 150 people held a rally in Papeete to protest against newly introduced obligations to wear a mask.

Masks are compulsory in enclosed public places and on public transport while students aged 11 and older also have to wear them.

However reports said those joining the march were wearing masks as not be fined.

During the first Covid-19 wave from March to June, 62 people contracted the virus.

Masks now compulsory on French Polynesia public transport

Masks now compulsory on French Polynesia public transport Photo: supplied

PNG has another case as concerns remain over testing

Meanwhile Papua New Guinea confirmed one new case of Covid-19, taking the national total there to 511.

The latest victim, in the National Capital District, is a 42-year old male health care worker who experienced a sore throat, fatigue, fever and a cough.

More than half the cases are in Port Moresby while Western Province had 185 confirmed cases.

The Controller of the Pandemic Response, Police Chief David Manning, repeated calls for residents to strictly follow Covid-19 protocols.

He also wanted to see more testing being done across the country.

Manning said only with testing could those infected be identified, isolated and cared for, while their contacts were quarantined to prevent further transmission.

Meanwhile, a 39-year-old woman who died in Port Moresby General Hospital, became PNG's sixth fatality related to the coronavirus.