Te Tiriti o Waitangi
In this part of the Radio New Zealand website you can find a collection of audio which explores the history of the Treaty of Waitangi.
All the material is drawn from the Sound Archives / Ngā Taonga Kōrero collection. It includes interviews, lectures, news coverage, features and documentaries, together with actuality of related events, such as the Waitangi Day Commemorations.
There are two strands of audio: one relating to events listed in the timeline of treaty events on the Treaty of Waitangi information website, and another exploring themes and ideas about the Treaty of Waitangi.
These pages were developed with the support of the Treaty of Waitangi information programme.
The Treaty of Waitangi Events
- 1962 - NZ Māori Council Formed
- 1967 - Protest Over Māori Affairs Amendment Act
- 1974 - Waitangi Day
- 1975 - Māori Land March / Hīkoi
- 1977 - Bastion Point occupation
- 1981 - Raglan Golf Course protest
- 1985 - Crown allows claims back to 1840 & Waitangi Tribunal issues reports
- 1986 - Treaty principles in legislation
- 1987 - Landmark court case
The Te Papa Treaty Debates from 2005 up to the present
The annnual Waitangi Rua Rau Tau lecture looks forward to the Waitangi bicentenary in 2040.
- Waitangi Tribunal
- The Office of Treaty Settlements
- Treaty2U Exhibition
- Treaty of Waitangi on NZ History online
- Treaty of Waitangi on Te Ara
Some of the audio on this page is supplied by Sound Archives Nga Taonga Korero.
NB: All audio on this page is for personal use only. No audio may be posted to a web site, distributed to a third party or broadcast via any means including (but not limited to) radio, television and the internet without the express permission of Radio New Zealand and/or Sound Archives Nga Taonga Korero.