19 Jan 2013

Niger ambassador and wife found dead

6:50 am on 19 January 2013

Niger's ambassador to Belgium and his wife have been found dead at their residence, apparently due to carbon monoxide poisoning.

The bodies of Issaka Djibo, 61, and his wife, Fatouma, 50, were found in their bedroom by their daughter, alerted by an embassy employee who had not heard from the ambassador.

The Belga news agency said initial findings suggested the couple died from carbon monoxide poisoning due to a faulty heater.

AAP reports the ambassador took up his post in January last year.