Latest - Manchester City beat PSG to reach first Champions League final
Riyad Mahrez struck twice as Manchester City reached the Champions League final for the first time thanks to a 2-0 victory over Paris St Germain at the Etihad Stadium that secured a 4-1 aggregate win.
City will now face the winner of tomorrow's semi-final second leg between Chelsea and Real Madrid, which is tied 1-1 on aggregate, in the May 30th final in Istanbul.
Leading 2-1 from the first leg, City eased their nerves when Algerian winger Mahrez scored in the 11th minute.
Pep Guardiola's side doubled their lead in the second-half with Mahrez scoring his third goal across the two semi-final legs.
PSG's Argentine winger Angel Di Maria was sent off in the 69th minute for a clash with Fernandinho after the ball had gone out of play.
Winning the Champions League final would earn Manchester City their first European trophy since they took home the Cup Winners' Cup in 1970.
Former World Cup winning All Black Jerome Kaino has made the 5-man shortlist for the European Player of the Year Award.
38 year old Kaino is one of three players from Toulouse who have made the shortlist with the club to play La Rochelle in the final of the European Champions Cup.
Infact all five players are from the teams that will contest the final with La Rochelle's Gregory Alldritt and Will Skelton also on the list.
Four-time Champions Cup winners Toulouse are represented by captain Julien Marchand, France scrumhalf Antoine Dupont and Kaino.
The winner of the award - the Anthony Foley Memorial Trophy - will be announced following the Champions Cup final on May 22.
Warriors bolstered by return of 3 players
The loss of another player for the Warriors has been offset by the return of three others for Sunday's NRL game against Manly in Sydney.
Young second rower Eliesa Katoa, halfback Chanel Harris-Tavita and centre Euan Aitken have all been included in the Warriors' 21-man squad.
The 21-year-old Katoa comes straight back into the starting line-up replacing Ben Murdoch-Masila, who has been ruled out following a head knock late in the second half of last weekend's win over North Queensland.
Katoa's last NRL appearance was coincidentally against Manly when the Warriors fell to a 12-13 fifth-round loss at Central Coast Stadium.
Harris-Tavita is back after being sideline for six weeks following surgery for a stress fracture in his left foot.
New signing Aitken has appeared only in the season-opening 19-6 win over Gold Coast when he suffered an ankle injury which required surgery.
Mourinho off to Rome
AS Roma have appointed former Tottenham Hotspur manager Jose Mourinho as their new head coach on a three-year contract starting next season.
The decision comes after the club announced coach Paulo Fonseca will leave his role at the end of the current campaign.
Mourinho, who has previously coached Porto, Chelsea, Inter Milan, Real Madrid and Manchester United, was sacked by Tottenham last month after 17 months in charge of the London club.
"After meetings with the ownership and Tiago Pinto, I immediately understood the full extent of their ambitions for AS Roma," Mourinho said.
"It is the same ambition and drive that has always motivated me and together we want to build a winning project over the upcoming years.
"The incredible passion of the Roma fans convinced me to accept the job and I cannot wait to start next season."
Monaco to allow some spectators
Spectators will be able to attend the Monaco Grand Prix when the social highlight of the Formula One calendar returns on May 20-23 after missing a year due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
The Mediterranean principality said that grandstands would be at 40% capacity, with up to 7,500 ticket holders a day.
The sport's oldest and most glamorous street race was not held in 2020, the first time it had been absent from the calendar since 1954.
The event will not be restricted to locals but those attending from outside Monaco will have to take a test for COVID-19 no more than 72 hours in advance.
This weekend's grand prix in Spain, round four of the championship, will have 1,000 circuit members seated in the grandstands.
The previous two rounds in Europe, at Imola in Italy and Portugal's Algarve circuit, went ahead behind closed doors due to local restrictions on mass gatherings.
Africa football stadia deemed not good enough
Africa's World Cup qualifiers have been thrown into crisis after a ban on numerous stadia across the continent left many countries facing the prospect of hosting matches next month outside their borders.
The Confederation of African Football, in a circular to member associations this week, has issued a list of approved stadiums for the first two rounds of group matches in June.
The list leaves a quarter of the 40 teams competing for places in Qatar 2022 without a venue to play their home qualifiers.
Those affected include Senegal, who competed at the last World Cup in Russia in 2018, and Mali, who were among the top seeded teams for the preliminaries.
Burkina Faso, the Central African Republic, Liberia, Malawi, Mali, Namibia, Niger and Sierra Leone have all not had their home stadiums approved as CAF cracks down on poor infrastructure around the continent.
They now face a tight deadline to upgrade venues before the first set of matches begin on June 5 or they will have to host them elsewhere.
African football has long been blighted by poor stadium facilities and sub-standard pitches and CAF have steadily shown more resolve in banning venues.
Women's teams tennis tournament needs new home
The Billie Jean King Cup Finals must find a new home after the International Tennis Federation terminated its contract with host city Budapest.
The inaugural 12-team women's competition, due to take place in April 2020, was cancelled because of coronavirus.
This year's event has been postponed until the end of the season, leaving the ITF a small window to secure a new host in very uncertain times.
Any new deal is likely to be significantly inferior financially.
The three-year agreement with Budapest provided $17 million per year for the players and a further $8.4 million for national federations.
It was re-named the Billie Jean King Cup last year in honour of the American 12-time Grand Slam champion and women's tennis trailblazer who was part of the winning team of the inaugural Fed Cup in London in 1963.
Burgess fined for drug driving
Former England rugby international Sam Burgess has been fined a thousand dollars but spared conviction after pleading guilty to drug driving in an unregistered car near Sydney.
Burgess, who represented England in rugby league and union and enjoyed a high-profile career in Australia's National Rugby League, was charged with driving a vehicle with an illicit drug present in his blood after failing a roadside test in February.
The former South Sydney Rabbitohs captain was ordered to pay a fine and placed on a good behaviour bond for nine month.
The ABC reported the 32-year-old Burgess had been found with traces of cocaine in his system when he failed the roadside test.
Burgess has had a number of scrapes with the law in Australia since he was forced into retirement in 2019 due to a chronic shoulder injury.