28 Apr 2020

Warriors continue waiting game

6:21 pm on 28 April 2020

Warriors boss Cameron George says they still need more information before they can commit to the proposed resumption of the NRL competition.

Warriors CEO Cameron George.

Warriors CEO Cameron George. Photo: Photosport

Australian Rugby League Commission chairman Peter V'Landys confirmed on Monday they have an exemption from border authorities for the New Zealand side to enter Australia as soon as this Sunday.

The next step in the process was a separate exemption from the state government in New South Wales, where the Warriors are set to be based during their mandatory isolation, allowing the team to train during that two-week period.

But George said on Tuesday the club themselves were yet to receive any official notification of any exemptions, as well as additional information they wanted before making a final decision.

"We're waiting on any formal approvals and exemptions that have been either given or discussed in the last 24 hours to be provided to the club.

"Then we want to understand what the competition structure is and also what the NRL are expecting to do for the families and players salaries."

Time, though, was of the essence when it came to the arrival of those approvals and details.

The Warriors were planning to fly to Australia on Sunday, allowing the team to begin training alongside the competition's other 15 sides on Monday.

Any delay to that departure could mean the NRL having to push back their proposed May 28 restart date.

George said the NRL were well aware the Warriors wanted information as soon as possible.

"There's not a timeline as such [but] I've stressed it's urgent, for obvious reasons.

"Sunday's coming very quickly and we need to understand our position in order to be ready."

Part of that understanding related to the details of the Warriors' mandatory quarantine period.

The facility being lined up was in Tamworth, 400 kilometres north of Sydney, with the squad and staff likely to relocate closer to Sydney after the two week isolation was completed.

George felt the facility would fit their needs well and, despite the tight timeframe, was optimistic they would be on the plane to Australia this weekend.

"We're awfully excited about the potential of going on Sunday and going through the quarantine process and then coming out the other end and playing in the competition.

"Once you clear up a few of these matters it's all systems go, and we're very excited about that."