24 Nov 2019

Wellington Phoenix get first win

2:14 pm on 24 November 2019

The Wellington Phoenix have picked up their first win of the season against a determined Brisbane Roar side to come away with a much-needed 2-1 win at home.

Wellington Phoenix captain Steven Taylor.

Captain Steven Taylor was one of the goal scorers. Photo: PHOTOSPORT

In their first match at Westpac Stadium in almost a month, both the sun and a vocal crowd were out in force - helping the Phoenix dominate for much of the match against Robbie Fowler's side and holding off a last-minute attack to preserve the victory.

Coach Ufuk Talay paid tribute to the hard work of Ulises Davila, who has kicked on after a slow start to the season and finished the game with an assist and a goal.

"I think at the start there were a lot of question marks about Ulises, but you can see the quality he brings to the team and he's going to grow with the games we play.

"I think he was probably one of our best players on the park."

Talay was also impressed with the work of young defensive midfielder Tim Payne, recently returned from international duty with the All Whites against Ireland and Lithuania.

"I thought Tim was sensational today - defensively very solid, very good going forward as well. Coming back off a 30-hour trip, I thought he played very good football."

Wellington dominated possession early, striking after 10 minutes when skipper Steven Taylor scored a stunning goal - a beautiful header in a crowded box, off an assist from Davila.

Brisbane worked hard to pressure in the attacking third, but the Phoenix's strong defensive work was equal to the task.

The Phoenix led 1-0 at halftime, dominating all facets of the match as the Roar extended their dubious record of not scoring a first-half goal in all seven matches this season.

It took Wellington less than five minutes from the restart to double their lead, with Davila nailing his fourth goal of the season

The Mexican-born Phoenix midfielder banged home a goal into the bottom corner from outside the box.

Davila struck again at 64 minutes, hitting the back of the net with a brilliant low strike, but the goal was overruled for offside.

Brisbane started to enjoy more possession for the next several minutes, but couldn't do anything productive with it until the 85th minute when Stefan Mauk grabbed one from inside the box put the visitors on the board.

The goal galvanised the Roar into piling on the offensive pressure in the hopes of an equaliser, but it was too little too late.

Wellington now travel to Coopers Stadium, taking on Adelaide United next Sunday.