American import Glen Rice Junior has been suspended indefinitely by the Breakers basketball side after he was charged with assault following an incident outside an Auckland bar in the early hours of Thursday morning.
Rice is due to appear in court on Wednesday.
Rice arrived in Auckland this season with a troubled background at two previous clubs.
Club owner Matt Walsh said: "I put structures in place, which I thought would prevent any problems happening, but I was wrong."
Walsh had initially decided not to suspend Rice following the incident, but ANBL officials directed the Breakers to stand him down from yesterday's game in Perth, which the Breakers lost.
Walsh said new information had come to light since he last spoke about the incident on Saturday night.
"Regardless of the outcome of Glen's court appearance, there is no denying he has let down the club, our fans and the New Zealand public after we gave him this lifeline."
Walsh said Rice had been offered professional help, which the player had accepted.
"In many ways, I feel responsible in a situation where there are no winners," said Walsh.
"Glen is a tremendously talented basketballer, but I expect our players to be professional both on and off the court.
"I feel it is my duty to assist Glen in paying his accommodation, legal and medical costs while he remains in our country to settle his business.
"But I also have no option but to remove him from the team."