7 Aug 2010

Steamers win Battle of the Bays, Taranaki bounce back

7:07 am on 7 August 2010

Two previously winless sides are on the board in the national provincial rugby competition as the second week reaches its halfway point.

Bay of Plenty won the Battle of the Bays with a convincing 30-11 rout of Hawke's Bay in Napier, while Taranaki bounced back from last week's disappointment against Northland to thrash Tasman 33-11 in New Plymouth.

Both Taranaki and Bay of Plenty scored five tries to the opposition's one.

Both sides traded early penalties in Napier before a pushover try to Bay of Plenty No.9 Taniela Moa, following a lineout. It was 8-6 at half-time.

Lelia Masaga finished the Steamers' second try early in the second half while turnovers and handling errors started to cost Hawke's Bay, the Magpies blowing a certain try and possible equaliser with less than half an hour to go.

That proved costly as Bay of Plenty went in for their third try to first five Daniel Waenga 15 minutes later. Then an outstanding individual try from skipper Colin Bourke sealed it for the visitors, the flanker kicking ahead and regathering over the line before replacement back Chad Tuoro nabbed his side's fifth try.

Hawke's Bay winger Richard Buckman scampered down the sideline for a consolation try at the end.

Two early penalties had Tasman ahead but it was all Taranaki after that, the home side's fullback Kurt Baker scoring the opening try on 14 minutes following sustained forward pressure.

10 minutes later Taranaki halfback Tyson Keats toed the ball ahead then pounced for another try after Tasman No.10 James Marshall dropped a bomb near his 22.

Jared Hoata scooted down the touchline for another as Taranaki took control at half-time, with a lead of 21-6.

It was more of the same five minutes after the break as winger David Smith crossed for the bonus point try and a 20-point lead.

Replacement Tasman hooker Vernon Fredericks got a consolation try with 10 minutes remaining but Taranaki centre George Pisi replied at the death after a scrum turnover caught the Tasman defence out.