Ending months of speculation, Brisbane have finally confirmed that South Sydney mentor Anthony Seibold will be the NRL club's next coach and ruled out an early exit by Wayne Bennett.
The Broncos said Seibold would replace Bennett in 2020 on a four-year deal after the Brisbane board voted unanimously to endorse the Rabbitohs coach on Tuesday night.
And Brisbane said Bennett would see out his Broncos contract next year before taking up a two-season South Sydney offer in 2020, dismissing talk of a 2019 swap with Seibold.
"Seibold will begin a four-year contract in 2020, with current coach Wayne Bennett committed to seeing out his final year as Broncos coach in 2019 - as announced by the club last month - and the club is looking forward to celebrating Wayne's last season at the Broncos," a Broncos statement said.
Bennett had not ruled out the Brisbane board asking him to leave 12 months early after falling out with Broncos boss Paul White this year over the club's coaching transition.
The Brisbane board earlier this year knocked back Bennett's request to coach for one more season in 2020.
After missing out on Craig Bellamy, Brisbane finally got their next man with Seibold accepting a lucrative contract reportedly worth more than $3 million.
In a move that has angered Broncos greats, Seibold got the nod over former premiership-winning Brisbane skipper Kevin Walters to replace Bennett.
It caps a stunning rise for ex-Broncos forward Seibold who has been linked to the Brisbane coaching job since Melbourne mentor Bellamy knocked back a big- money offer to move north in June.
Seibold steered the Rabbitohs to the 2018 preliminary final and earned Dally M Coach of the Year honours in his rookie NRL season.
"We have been through a robust process and interviewed a number of high calibre coaches," said Broncos chairman Karl Morris.
"Anthony was a stand-out. His football knowledge is exceptional, as is his thinking and process around people management."
Seibold has not impressed Broncos greats who believed Walters was the right man to replace Bennett, who will mark his 26th and final season at the Brisbane helm in 2019.
Two-time Broncos premiership winner Chris Johns told AAP Seibold was an "unproven coach" and that the Rabbitohs choked in 2018.
"Kev is just a natural fit, the perfect person (as Brisbane coach)," Johns said.
Broncos CEO Paul White said Seibold represented the NRL club's long-term future.
"We have done a thorough due diligence and as a result we have got the best person for the job in Anthony," he said.
"Our job is to look after the long-term future of this club and that is what we have done through Anthony's appointment.
"Planning is well and truly underway for next season and we are expecting big things from the team - it's a season we can all look forward to."