11 Jul 2016

Hurricanes into Super Rugby playoffs

11:56 am on 11 July 2016

First-five Beauden Barrett steered the Hurricanes into Super Rugby's quarter-finals with 18 individual points as his side beat the New South Wales Waratahs 28-17 in Sydney.

James Marshall tries to escape Taqele Naiyaravoro.

James Marshall tries to escape Taqele Naiyaravoro. Photo: Photosport

Look back at commentary here.

Barrett scored a try, set up two others for Julian Savea and Cory Jane and kicked 13 points as last year's beaten finalists advanced to 48 points in the table.

The Waratahs remained on 39 points and neither the 2014 champions nor ACT Brumbies can head off the Hurricanes ahead of the final week of the regular season.

The worst place the Hurricanes can finish is fifth, the last playoffs spot available in the Australasian group, with the Highlanders (43 points) later thrashing the Jaguars 34-8 in Buenos Aires.

The Chiefs (51) lead the New Zealand conference, having demolished the Queensland Reds 50-5 in Brisbane on Friday, one point ahead of the Crusaders who thrashed the Melbourne Rebels 85-26 last night to stay in the hunt for the New Zealand conference title.

Barrett scored all of the Hurricanes' first-half points, with two penalties and a try after a clever kick ahead from winger Jane had turned the Waratahs' defence.

Will Skelton slides into TJ Perenara.

Will Skelton slides into TJ Perenara. Photo: Photosport

The home side, who struggled to get their hands on the ball, finally managed to put together a number of pick and goes near the ruck with massive winger Taqele Naiyaravoro crashing over.

Waratahs first-five Bernard Foley, who had converted Naiyaravoro's try, added a penalty in the third minute following the halftime hooter after the Hurricanes had been penalised three times by Chris Pollock.

The home side moved down field and reduced the gap to 11-10 at the break.

The third penalty had resulted in Willis Halaholo spending the first 10 minutes of the second half in the sin bin and the Waratahs exploited the gap in midfield with Israel Folau crossing to give his side the lead.

Barrett, however, sparked the Hurricanes recovery, setting up Jane for a try, adding the conversion and then a penalty before his long pass put Savea into space to score and give the visitors a 28-17 lead with around 20 minutes remaining.

The Hurricanes play the Crusaders next week in Christchurch, while the Waratahs head to Auckland to face the Blues at Eden Park.