4 Apr 2016

Leicester seven points clear in EPL

7:42 am on 4 April 2016

after a narrow victory over Southampton in the English Premier League.

Leicester City moved seven points clear of Tottenham Hotspur and closer to the first title in their 132-year history

after a narrow victory over Southampton in the English Premier League.

A a first-half header from captain Wes Morgan, his first goal of the season was enough to secure Leicester's fourth successive 1-0 win.

Look back at the commentary here:

It came after 38 minutes when he out-jumped Jordy Clasie to power Christian Fuchs's cross past Fraser Forster.

The victory moved them on to 69 points with six matches remaining, seven more than Spurs who drew 1-1 with Liverpool yesterday.

Leicester manager Claudio Ranieri said "Clean sheet, three points, step by step. It's fantastic because we know very well Southampton came here with a lot of confidence.

"I said to the players, it's the chairman's birthday, he needs a special present from us. The skipper came back from a long journey with the national team, it's amazing.

"We are dreaming, if we fight we can do something and we must continue. It's important to stay very calm and maintain our feet on the ground."

Morgan said Leicester were determined to take advantage of Spurs' result at Anfield by beating Southampton in front of their own fans at the King Power Stadium.

"After the game yesterday ended in a draw we wanted to make the most of our opportunity and it's a massive three points for us today," he told Sky Sports.

"We had to dig in deep and had a lot of defending to do but we really wanted it today and to get a goal was fantastic."

Meanwhile Manchester United maintained their push for a top four finish when they beat Everton with a second-half goal from Anthony Martial at Old Trafford.

Leicester City manager Claudio Ranieri.

Leicester City manager Claudio Ranieri. Photo: PHOTOSPORT

Martial took advantage of poor Everton defending to strike at the far post in the 54th minute after substitute Timothy Fosu-Mensah whipped the ball across the face of the goal with both John Stones and Seamus Coleman failing to clear the danger.

Everton, who will face Manchester United again in an FA Cup semi-final at Wembley later this month if Louis van Gaal's side win their last-eight replay, almost equalised two minutes later when Phil Jagielka headed against David De Gea's crossbar.

United's record goalscorer Bobby Charlton, now 78, was given a warm salute when he appeared on the pitch before the match as the South Stand at Old Trafford was renamed the Sir Bobby Charlton Stand in his honour.