14 Jun 2015

Hurricanes send Chiefs on the road

8:20 am on 14 June 2015

The first placed Hurricanes came from behind to beat the Chiefs 21-13 in the final round of Super Rugby in New Plymouth to send the two time champions on the road for the first round of the playoffs.

The Hurricanes captain Conrad Smith celebrates scoring a try.

The Hurricanes captain Conrad Smith celebrates scoring a try. Photo: PHOTOSPORT

The Hurricanes were already assured of topping the end of season standings and a home semi-final but the Chiefs needed a bonus point victory by more than 37 points to avoid travelling to Dunedin to play the Highlanders next week.

They started well enough when a converted intercept try from winger Bryce Heem and two penalties from Marty McKenzie put them 13-0 up after half an hour.

The Hurricanes then scored 21 unanswered points, with a penalty try and a five pointer to centre and captain Conrad Smith putting them ahead at halftime, before James Marshall's intercept sent them eight points clear in the 56th minute.

Earlier, winger Nemani Nadolo scored two tries as the Crusaders ended an era with a 37-24 victory over the ACT Brumbies that ended the Canberra-based side's hopes of clinching the Australian conference title.

The Crusaders still missed out on the playoffs for the first time since 2001 but their victory means the Brumbies will go to South Africa to play the Stormers next week in Cape Town.

The Canberra clash was the last appearance for the Crusaders for All Blacks first-five Dan Carter and almost certainly flanker Richie McCaw.

Carter slotted 17 points with the boot, while flanker Matt Todd became the first forward to score a try in five successive games in Super Rugby.

The Brumbies scored all three of their tries from rolling mauls with flankers David Pocock, who left the game late in the first half with concussion, and Jarrad Butler touching down and the third awarded as a penalty try.

Referee Jaco Peyper also gave the Crusaders a penalty try after they got their own rolling maul working with seven minutes remaining before Carter converted and kicked his last penalty in Super Rugby to take his record tally to 1,708 points.

Get the RNZ app

for ad-free news and current affairs

We have regular online commentary of local and international sport.