A judge has delayed the sentencing of a former All Black who has admitted assaulting a child.
The man, who has name suppression, pleaded guilty to the charge of assaulting a child in September last year and has since completed an anger management course.
In court documents obtained by Radio New Zealand the man said he was at the end of his tether when he used his belt to strike his 11-year-old son around his legs and shoulders.
He was due to be sentenced in the Auckland District Court on Tuesday morning.
The former All Black appeared before a judge who had not dealt with his case before.
Judge Lex De Jong said he could consider the application to discharge the case, but said he didn't think it was appropriate for him to hand down that sentence.
Instead, he postponed the case to next month, so it can be heard by the original judge.