5 Feb 2012

95 arrests, but police happy with Sevens fans

9:30 pm on 5 February 2012

Almost 100 people have been arrested as fans filled the capital for the Wellington leg of rugby's Sevens tournament.

But with 35,000 people attending the two-day competition at Westpac Stadium, police say people were generally very well-behaved.

Operations commander Inspector Simon Perry says there were 95 arrests, mostly for alcohol-fuelled disorderly behaviour and breaching the liquor ban during the event which began on Friday.

Fourteen people were arrested in the stadium, while 68 were evicted.

A further 30 people were refused entry for intoxication or trying to smuggle in alcohol.

However, Mr Perry says he is very pleased with the behaviour of the fans with arrests and evictions well down on last year.

Sevens organisers pleased with event

The organisation behind the Sevens tournament says it is pleased with the outcome of the event despite some problems with match security.

New Zealand International Sevens general manager Steve Walters, says there was an issue on day one where a Samoan player was attacked by a streaker.

Mr Walters says the man was arrested and charged with assault and 20 extra security staff were brought on for the second day of the competition.

However, he says the capacity crowd was generally well behaved.

Triage centre takes pressure off hospital

Wellington Hospital's Emergency Department says having a triage centre in the central city significantly reduced the numbers of patients brought in.

Courtenay Place, the heart of the entertainment district, was closed off for a big street party following the tournament.

A doctor from the Emergency Department, several ambulance staff and volunteers staffed the centre in Tory Street off Courtenay Place.

About 27 people were treated, mostly for intoxication or lacerations from broken glass. Only five people had to be sent hospital.

Emergency Department associate charge nurse manager Lincoln Earley says up to 40 others were brought in during Saturday - but it could have been much busier.

The Wellington City Council says it believes the tournament brought an economic benefit of at least $16 million to the city.