19 Aug 2025

Future of Nelson Provincial Museum's new storage facility uncertain

6:14 pm on 19 August 2025
Nelson Provincial Museum

Nelson Provincial Museum. Photo: Supplied / Nelson Provincial Museum

The future of Nelson Provincial Museum's long-awaited archive storage facility is uncertain after Nelson City Council agreed to publicly consult on whether to spend $3 million it already allocated to the project, now it's no longer in the central city.

The Tasman Bays Heritage Trust requested support from the Nelson City and Tasman District councils in 2018 to develop a new archives, research and collections facility after it's existing building was deemed not fit for purpose.

The museum's current research facility in Isel Park opened in 1973 and chief executive Lucinda Jimson said its $20 million collection was under threat every time it rained, with the entire building in a "pretty dire" state.

The original plan for a new archive facility in the central city - adjacent to the museum - was ditched after costs rose from $12m to $15m.

The trust is now proposing a new build in Richmond, Tasman, at a cost of $9.8m.

"When the government announced last year that the Ministry of Culture and Heritage was no longer funding capital projects, there was no way that we could afford the $14.9 million price tag," Jimson said.

Tasman Bays Heritage Trust went back to the drawing board and considered eight options, with the preferred option a new build in Richmond due to the lower construction costs, greater space efficiency from a single-storey design, along with savings on heating, ventilation and air conditioning.

When the business case was first put forward for a new facility in 2018, both councils committed around $3m in funding to the project.

Jimson said Tasman District Council had confirmed its commitment of $3.1m, while Nelson City Council said it needed to seek feedback from the public on the $3.04m it had allocated due to the change from the initial proposal.

Current building 'compromised'

In the Isel Park building, plastic wrap and buckets are used to protect the collections in bad weather, with litres of water leaking through the roof during the recent storms.

"It's not just the roof that is the issue, the whole building is compromised," Jimson said.

"It doesn't fit our collection now, it's got asbestos, it's got wiring issues, the cinder block construction lets a lot of damp in through the walls and through the concrete floor, we have salts growing on those blocks in our collection.

"We try and keep decent humidity and temperature, which is so vital to care for museum collections, by having a huge range of dehumidifiers everywhere."

The museum's Nelson-Tasman regional collection has been independently valued at $20m and is thought to be one of the most significant in the country.

It is made up of about 200,000 objects, 1.2m photographs and 150,000 original, rare and one-off paper documents.

The collection also includes the UNESCO-inscribed Tyree Studio photographic collection, a range of Taonga Māori objects including a portrait of Atama Paparangi by Charles Goldie, fine art and personal diaries including one from a soldier in Gallipoli.

A recent independent building assessment reinforced that the building could not be made fit for purpose, "in very black and white terms".

"Some of the collections that we have here are of international significance, these collections are of national significance, we can't afford to lose them."

Feedback sought from Nelson community

Nelson City Council wants to hear feedback from the community on the $3m contribution before August 29, with a decision to be made at a council meeting on September 4.

It said consultation was required because the revised project had changed and it was no longer in the central city.

The trust had requested a decision on the funding by the end of September in order to purchase the land and secure a fixed price contract for the build.

Nelson Mayor Nick Smith said the council had supported the project with contributions of $31 million for infrastructure upgrades and enabling affordable rentals.

Nelson Mayor Nick Smith says he does not support the $9.8m archive facility in Richmond at a time when ratepayers are struggling. Photo: Max Frethey / LDR

On Facebook, Nelson Mayor Nick Smith said he did not support the $9.8m archive facility in Richmond at a time when ratepayers were struggling and councils were facing millions in storm repair costs.

He said the trust was putting the council under "unreasonable pressure" in seeking approval so quickly, ahead of the local body elections.

"This revised project does nothing for [the] revitalisation of the city centre."

Smith said re-roofing and refurbishing the existing Isel Park facility was a far more cost-effective way of safeguarding the museum's collection.

Tasman Bays Heritage Trust chair Venus Guy said the trust had done its due diligence in exploring different options, once it became clear the central city facility would not be cost effective.

"We really had to pivot when we didn't have enough funds from central government and we had a shortfall of $7m... we looked at our purpose, which was the safety of our collection."

She said it was frustrating to be re-discussing $3m in funding already allocated by the Nelson City Council in its 2018 long term plan.

"I think we're letting everyone down, we're letting our staff down, we're letting our volunteers down, it's disappointing that seven years later we're still talking about the same problem and same challenges.

"We have done a lot of work with our potential commercial partners in order to save ratepayers money and save this collection."

Rachel Boyack

Nelson MP Rachel Boyack. Photo: RNZ / Samuel Rillstone

Nelson MP Rachel Boyack said the proposal for a new build in Richmond was sensible, less costly than the original plan and wouldn't require any additional funding from ratepayers, while ensuring local heritage could be saved.

"It is critical that a new facility is built as soon as possible, as the current facility at Isel Park in Stoke is cramped, leaky and prone to flooding.

"This is an essential piece of regional infrastructure."

Feedback closes at midday on August 29 and will be considered by elected members, with a decision to be made at a council meeting on September 4.

Sign up for Ngā Pitopito Kōrero, a daily newsletter curated by our editors and delivered straight to your inbox every weekday.