16 May 2024

Lockdowns lifted at three Gisborne schools after threat

4:03 pm on 16 May 2024
Lytton High School, Gisborne

Lytton High School said, on Facebook, that it had entered an "unexpected lockdown". Photo: Supplied / Google Maps

Three schools in Gisborne say they have come out of lockdown following a threat.

In a statement, police said "a school" has gone into what they called a "self imposed lockdown" because of a threat.

They said the public would see lots of officers in the Riverdale area, but they were there as a precaution.

There were cordons in the area near Nelson Road to redirect traffic.

On Facebook, Riverdale Primary, Lytton High School, and Campion College all said they were in lockdown.

By 3.45pm, all three said the lockdowns had lifted.

Police said the Nelson Road area had been cleared following an earlier threat made via phone.

"Students have been released from school and police will be leaving the area shortly.

"Police are confident there is no immediate threat to students, staff, or the premises.

"Police will be making further enquiries into the phone call to identify the person responsible."

Lytton High School earlier said police were on site.

On Facebook, the school said it had entered an "unexpected lockdown".

An update said: "Our lockdown is now lifted. A police presence will remain, but your students can leave as normal.

"If you are collecting them, please be careful as traffic will be heavy. Please do not linger.

"Buses will be collecting students as soon as possible and dropping them off as usual.

"We will send a more comprehensive update when possible.

"Thanks so much for your understanding."

Kay Maaka at Riverdale School told RNZ they were told to go into lockdown just before school pick-up time. Some students had gone home, but those who were still at the school were safe and well.

On Facebook, Riverdale School said the incident was at Lytton High School.

"The police have asked us to keep our students and staff in their classrooms until further notice. We are all safe. We ask that you do not come and pick up your children at this stage. We will keep you updated as soon as we know anymore."

At 3.40pm, a post on its Facebook page read: The lockdown is now over. Please come to the school gate and pick up your child from there."

At 3.30pm, Campion College said its students had been released.

It follows an earlier incident in Taupō which saw a school go into lockdown on Thursday.

And on Tuesday, a school in Addington, Christchurch went into lockdown while police hunted for a man involved in a firearms incident.