A large blaze in Auckland's Flat Bush has been put out, but residents have been told an electrical transformer could take weeks to fix.
Emergency services were called to the fire at a group of shops at the intersection of Chapel and Ormiston roads at 12.50pm.
A generator was set up in Flat Bush late in the afternoon to power homes and businesses that had been cut off after a transformer was burnt.
Earlier, police advised motorists to avoid the area and for residents to keep doors and windows shut due to the air quality.
A section of Chapel Road between Ormiston Road and the southern end of Michael Jones Drive was closed during the fire, but it reopened shortly before 3pm and bus services resumed.
A worker at the neighbouring pizza restaurant said emergency crews did a great job fighting the blaze and managing residents.
"They have done a really great job, they led the people out and restricted the area," Pizza Club assistant manager Akshita said.
"We had to [evacuate] because we have a gas supply and we [didn't know] if it would catch."
Brandon, who lives next to the scene, said he was told the damaged transformer could take up to two weeks to fix.
Brandon hoped the generator would keep the lights on until then.
"There should be a generator here tonight and hopefully it powers everything," he said.
"They're doing everything they can to minimise [the risk], they've already put the traffic lights on a separate circuit."
A Vector spokesperson said power had been restored to most properties.
"Most customers now have their power back on and our crews are working to restore those who are still without power," he said.